Uploading Files to Your Website Using an FTP Client
Sometimes, using an FTP client to upload/download files and folders to or from your website might be easier than using the File Manager of your hosting control panel.
Using an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) client to upload files to your website is a very efficient way of transferring files between your computer and your hosting account. There are lots of free and paid FTP clients around the web and you can find many of them by doing a search. I personally use FilzeZilla, one of the best free FTP clients, and I will recommend it to you as well. In this post I will demonstrate how to connect and upload files and folders to your website using FileZilla.
The first thing to do is to download and install the FTP client (FileZilla). If you are going to use FileZilla, you can download it here. Choose the version that applies to you and download it. If you are a Windows user, you can download the recommended one.
Once it is downloaded, install it following the simple steps. After the installation, run the program and you will see the following screen. I divided the screen into 7 sections and I will explain their functions briefly below.
1. In section 1, you will see four fields which are Host, Username, Password and Port. Enter your FTP address into the Host field, FTP username into the Username field and FTP password into the Password field. If you don't know what they are, you can learn that information in your hosting control panel in the FTP accounts section. If you can't find it, ask your hosting provider and they will give your FTP details. Don't worry about the Port field as you don't need to enter anything. Once all the details are ready, click the Quickconnect button and FileZilla will establish a temporary file transfer connection between your computer and your hosting account.
2. In the second section, the program will log the action details like whether the connection was established successfully or not.
3. Section 3 is where you locate the files on your computer. To upload a file, you will need to find its location.
4. Similarly, this section shows you the directory of your hosting account. Find and open the directory that you want to upload files.
5. Here, you can see the list of files in the current folder on your computer. Select the files you want to upload.
6. This section lists the files in the current folder on your hosting. You can download or delete files by right clicking on them and choosing the related option.
7. The last section shows you the progress of file transfers such as, the status of the file being uploaded, failed transfers and successful transfers.
It is that simple to upload files to your website, and download files from your hosting account in the same manner. The beauty of using an FTP client to transfer files is that you can choose many files and folders at one time and transfer them. Whereas, you will have to select and upload files manually when you use the file manager in your hosting control panel.
This is all I have to say about FTP file transfer with FileZilla, see you on another post.
More FTP Tips
Choosing the Correct File Transfer Type with FileZilla How to Show Hidden Files in FileZilla How to Download Files From Your Website Using an FTP Client List of Free FTP Software What is the Maximum File Size in FTP Transfers? How To Limit the Maximum File Transfer Size in FTP Meaning of Common FTP Server Response CodesFTP Tips